Sr. Director of Engineering
Who we are
We’re engineers, unifying employers and hourly workers to create an hourly-work space that works for everyone. This starts with recruiting and retaining employees. On the recruiting side, we help our customers re-engage the people they already know – past applicants and former employees – which is a critical need in this understaffed world and often translates to doubling their application flow. On the retention side, we uncover what matters most to our customers’ employees, automate check-ins and deliver actionable insights to improve their workplace. Simply said: We are employers’ people strategy in an understaffed world.
Our products are in high demand, we are growing quickly and driving towards becoming the Human Resources category leader for how companies improve an employee’s experience from initial job awareness through their employment journey.
We are transforming hourly work by restoring the ideals of the American Dream, rooted in affording everyone the opportunity to earn, find personal satisfaction and save. Our brand is proudly rooted in entrepreneurialism and our attributes are an acronym for ASPIRE: autonomy, smart work, pride, informative, relationships and equity.
The Senior Director of Engineering is a leadership role responsible for managing the engineering team and aligning engineering activities & projects with company goals & objectives. To be successful in this role, this role must have exceptional abilities in providing technical guidance to team members and executive leadership while contributing to the development of goals & strategies.
The Senior Director of Engineering will report directly to the Vice President, Product & Engineering and work collaboratively with many other members of the leadership team.
The responsibilities for this role will continue to evolve as the company grows; the initial key focuses will be:
- Technical Expertise: serve as the organization’s technical expert, providing guidance at all levels of the organization as needed.
- Team Development: manage a team with various experience levels & roles, ensuring:
- Employee Development: build, develop and manage a high-performing, cross-functional team; inspire team to deliver, execute and refine the product roadmap to meet HourWork’s evolving business goals.
- Team Scaling: actively participate in headcount planning and the recruiting process to build successful product & engineering teams.
- Process Management: establish processes & procedures and define realistic targets & milestones for deliverables while working within project deadlines with a focus towards customer value
- Build and lead an engineering organization to further success! Evolve and further grow the organization to meet the ambitious needs of HourWork, our customers and stakeholders. Ensure the success of and own the delivery of product commitments.
- 8+ years of experience in Development & Engineering, or similar role, with 3+ years in a management position within a high-growth SaaS business leading other managers and tech leads.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment, demonstrating the ability to drive the demands of high growth while collaborating with internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills with an ability to rapidly resolve cross-functional issues
- Must have taken products from inception to full production to general availability
- Understanding and enthusiasm for Agile and Scrum methodologies
- Demonstrated ability to create systems, processes and structure needed to be successful
- Technically strong with the ability to drive architectural discussions and make technology decisions.
- Provide technical guidance, collaboration, and coaching.
- Exceptional verbal, visual, and written communication skills with the ability to explain approach to all levels in the organization including key stakeholders
- Ability to think strategically and see the big picture
- Experience managing a distributed team
- Has demonstrated a high level of achievement and success at an early-stage startup
- Desire to have a front-row seat at an early-stage, fast-growing company. There are not many layers of bureaucracy to work through. You will have a huge impact here.
- Strong desire to roll up your sleeves and do the dirty work
- Understanding that always doing the right thing for our customers is the priority – even if it means we have to push ourselves harder.
- $185,000 – $205,000 annually
- Stock Options
- Unlimited Vacation (No, really. Please take your vacation.)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employer-paid Basic Life, Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability Insurances
- 401k & HSA available