Front-End Software Engineer (React)
Who We Are
We’re engineers, unifying employers and hourly workers to create an hourly-work space that works for everyone. This starts with recruiting and retaining employees. On the recruiting side, we help our customers re-engage the people they already know – past applicants and former employees – which is a critical need in this understaffed world and often translates to doubling their application flow. On the retention side, we uncover what matters most to our customers’ employees, automate check-ins and deliver actionable insights to improve their workplace. Simply said: We are employers’ people strategy in an understaffed world.
Our products are in high demand, we are growing quickly and driving towards becoming the Human Resources category leader for how companies improve an employee’s experience from initial job awareness through their employment journey.
We are transforming hourly work by restoring the ideals of the American Dream, rooted in affording everyone the opportunity to earn, find personal satisfaction and save. Our brand is proudly rooted in entrepreneurialism and our attributes are an acronym for ASPIRE: autonomy, smart work, pride, informative, relationships and equity.
The Front-End Software Engineer will join a team of talented engineers, contributing to the continued development and execution of HourWork’s core product lines. The successful candidate will work with Product, QA, and leadership to help achieve the company’s goals for 2022 and beyond. This role will be an individual contributor role but working closely with a close-knit product team of 2-4 engineers, plus 1 product manager and shared design, QA, and DevOps teammates. Please Note: This individual will sign an invention assignment and a non-disclosure agreement.
The responsibilities for this role will continue to expand; the initial key focuses will be:
- Technical Shaping: Collaboratively innovative and select appropriate strategies for achieving product goals.
- We love fresh ideas and are open to getting outside our comfort zone to build the best products with new tools and fresh approaches.
- Strategy: Collaborate with Product, QA, and Business leadership to create and drive business, product, and technical strategy and goals for your team.
- Execution: Work as both an individual contributor, rolling up your sleeves and actively working in the code. Additionally, working with tech leads to ensure teams have a high-value, high-velocity, and responsive product development lifecycle.
- Collaboration: Work with senior technical management, teammates, Product Owners, Designers, QA, and the business unit to ensure smooth working relationships that foster productivity and meet company objectives.
- Support Product and organization as whole to create a self-sustaining, worker-facing, worker-benefiting product that delivers on HourWork’s mission of rebuilding the American Dream for all.
- Minimum of 1-2 years experience in software development
- Proven success developing complex projects
- Experience building front-end applications in React
- Familiarity with version control systems like Git
- Strong understanding of Jira or similar project management solutions
- Understanding and enthusiasm for Agile and Scrum methodologies
- Not afraid to roll up your sleeves and do the dirty work
- Extreme organization and attention to detail
- Ability to juggle deadlines, drive projects to completion, and manage evolving project scopes
- Ability to create systems, processes and structure needed to be successful for yourself and your team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Desire to have a front-row seat at an early-stage, fast-growing company. There are not many layers of bureaucracy to work through. You will have a huge impact here.
- Understanding that always doing the right thing for our users is the priority – even if it means we have to push ourselves harder.
- We are passionate about creating an hourly workspace that works for everyone and love when our colleagues have hands-on hourly experience to drive our mission.
- Ability to listen and collaborate incredibly well.
- Desire to roll up your sleeves and do the dirty work, writing code and helping the team..
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment, demonstrating the ability to drive the demands of high growth while collaborating with internal stakeholders who are also very busy.
- Interest in carving your own path. We need someone who can figure out the highest impact areas of focus and motivate themselves to excel in them.
- Ability to balance hectic day-to-day schedules with the need to step back, set longer-term goals, and execute against them.
- Ability to create systems and processes that scale, including building a team of incredibly smart people that can take over and do the same for continued growth.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working at startups!
- While a college degree in a technology-related field is great, we recognize and celebrate candidates who carved their own path, regardless of education.
Why You Might Want To Work With Us
- We’re very small, so there are not many layers of bureaucracy to work through. You can have a huge impact here if you apply yourself.
- We’re a diverse, culturally rich group of humans who celebrate diversity and equality because we know it makes all of us and the organization as a whole better.
- We’re looking for someone great! If this job excites you and feels like a great fit, we want to talk to you. We will make the details work for an incredible candidate.
- You’ll have a front-row seat at an early-stage, fast-growing company. If you hope to start your own thing someday, this could be great preparation.
- We intend to provide you with expert-level guidance through one of our investor partners
Why You Might Not Want To Work With Us
- We’re still figuring a lot of stuff out, so priorities change quickly and good work sometimes gets scrapped. We strive to always do the right thing for our customers, even if it means we have to push ourselves harder.
- A lot of company processes and policies are missing or unrefined – classic startup stuff – so if you need a lot of structure to thrive, this is not a good role for you.
Compensation & Benefits
At HourWork, we have a transparent equity and salary policy because we take pride in ensuring all of our colleagues are compensated commensurate with experience. Our methodology is transparent and discussed during onboarding (and questions are always welcome).
- $110,000 – $150,000
- Stock Options
- Unlimited Vacation (No, really. Please take your vacation.)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employer-paid Basic Life, Short-Term Disability, and Long-Term Disability Insurance Plans
- 401k & HSA available